Sunday, May 26, 2013

Reishi Magic

I went on my first mushroom walk today. We went out specifically looking for reishi mushrooms. I first learned about reishi mushrooms last year and have been drawn to them ever since. They grow on dying hemlocks. I love hemlocks and feel a special connection to them. When I worked in wilderness therapy they were everywhere in the Georgia woods. We would always look for fallen hemlock branches to help start our fires, they work even when its wet out. We even named a special hemlock tree once, Mr. Hemmy. Being in the woods I learned about hemlocks and the wooly adelgid that is killing them. It's sad. Hemlocks are so majestic and beautiful. What caught my attention in learning about reishi is that they are found growing on dying hemlocks, like a beautiful offering from the hemlock spirits. That is just how cool hemlocks are, they are gifting us the reishi even in their last moments.


The history of reishi is interesting. The Chinese name for it is Ling Zhi,which translates to spiritual potency. It's medicinal properties have been noted for 4,000 years. Chinese royalty considered reishi to be more precious than gold. Pictures of reishi would be embroidered on their robes over their hearts and on their backs symbolizing good health and longevity.

Reishi is an antiviral, a nervine, and adaptogen. It is so seriously good! It helps strengthen the immune system, detoxifies the liver and builds the blood.

Conditions reishi helps with include:

Anxiety
Insomnia
Stress
High blood pressure
Cardiovascular disease
Arrhythmia
Arthritis
Muscle aches
Diabetes (lowers blood sugar)
Diabetic kidney disease
Protection against
stroke and heart disease
High cholesterol
ADD
Dementia
Alzheimer's
Inflammation
Acute respiratory issues
Bronchitis
Leaky gut syndrome
Constipation                                                                                
Allergies
Asthma
Cancer
HIV
Herpes
Epstein Barr
Hepatitis

and the list goes on.

I'm excited to experiment with reishi. I plan on making a tincture. I'm so grateful for both the hemlocks and the spirit of the hemlocks for gifting us with this beautiful mushroom.

2 comments:

  1. A mushroom walk or similar events sounds very educational. Where can I find info on events like these? Thanks in advance, Kassie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can google forging classes or groups in your area or state. I think you'll be surprised at how many there are. I'll send you the link to the one I went on.

    ReplyDelete