Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dandelion Vinegar and Tincture

I walked outside today and noticed a hundred of beautiful yellow dandelion flowers. They were seriously calling my name and saying, "you gotta use me NOW!!!"  I've also been taking dandelion lately for my liver, skin allergies, and just defense against allergies in general. So what came out of the harvest is a little jar of tincture and a big jar of vinegar! I'll let you know how it turns out in six weeks! Yay, Spring!! And yay Dandelion!! I'm so grateful for your help!! What is your medicinal experience with dandelion? I'd love to know.



So what I did was just gather a lot of dandelion flowers and a few leaves and stuffed them in my mason jars. For the vinegar I just filled it up with Bragg's Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar and capped it with a plastic canning lid...cause the vinegar will rust the regular metal lid. For my small bottle of alcohol based tincture, I did the same thing, stuffed the flowers in the jar and topped with 100 proof vodka. I would like to experiment with other alcohols such as brandy and organic grain alcohol cause the vodka is harsh, but I stink at calculating and just buying the 100 proof is so easy all you do is pour! The steeping process is 6 weeks and during that time you shake each jar gently everyday. You can also say a prayer or set an intention while you are doing this.

2 comments:

  1. What's the difference between a tincture and a vinegar, and the difference on how you use both?

    Thanks for stepping out into the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question!! A tincture is a concentrated liquid extract of an herb. The base of a tincture (which is called a menstruum) is generally alcohol (usually 80 to 100 proof) but it can also be made with glycerin or vinegar. So technically I'm making two tinctures: one with alcohol and one with vinegar (Bragg's apple cider vinegar), but you see I really just want to use my vinegar tincture for salads and veggies so I didn't use a fancy name for it.

    ReplyDelete